FPS Community Blog

March 2015 Archives

FPS Again Named Top Ten US Digital School District

Posted by Alan on March 31, 2015 5:02 PM | (Not Filed) |

DigSchlDists_Wnr15_RGB.pngFor the seventh consecutive year FPS has been named to the Top Ten Digital School Districts in the U.S. in the Digital School Districts Survey by the Center for Digital Education and the National School Boards Association.

The survey showcases exemplary school boards' and districts' use of technology to govern the district, communicate with students, parents and the community and to improve district operations.

Click here for more information.

Butterfield Archery Team Wins State Competition

Posted by Alan on March 30, 2015 11:07 AM | (Not Filed) |

archery.jpgCongratulations to the Butterfield Trail Elementary School team for winning their division of the 2015 Arkansas Archery Meet in Hot Springs on March 27! The Bronco team won by only 2 points in a hotly contested division. Click here to see a team photo.

FPS Students Perform Well at Regional Math Contest

Posted by Alan on March 18, 2015 8:28 AM | (Not Filed) |

mathrocksalbert.pngOur students performed very well at the recent Arkansas Council of Teachers of Mathematics (ACTM) Regional Math Contest. 660 from 20 different school across Northwest Arkansas registered for the contest, and 159 received some type of recognition. Of those 159, a whopping 59 were from Fayetteville Public Schools (Woodland, FHS, and Ramay). That's 37% of the students recognized!

Here's how our students fared:

Algebra I - Woodland
  • 4th-10th: Austin Liu, Zhiwen Xu, Jackson Heck
  • 11th-25: Grayson Young, Ryan Moore, Reagan White, Bradley Brennun, Dongsoo Lee, Stephen Pierson, Ryan Roark, Addison Pummill, Kimia Boroojeni

Geometry - Woodland
  • 4th-10th: Griffin Roach, Ben Young, Sara Rulli
  • 11th-25th: Thomas Burch, Henry Aggus, Danielle Hogue

Geometry - Ramay
11th-25th: Jordan Marsh

Algebra II - Woodland

• 1st - Seongbae Kong
  • 
2nd - Payton Mattingly

• 3rd - Noah Ballinger

• 4th-10th: Tony Maranto
  • 11th-25th: Eric Gu, John Zimmerman, Emery Young, Lela Minor, Kyle Mayer, Vivian Liang,
  • Arielle Louth, Lia Rubinelli, Eva Bogomileva, Caden Blaschke, Kari Si
Algebra II - Ramay:
  • 4th-10th: Naomi Michael
  • 11th-25th: Anna Claire Benafield; Joe Gunderman

Algebra II - FHS:
  • 4th-10th: Julia Rogers

PreCalculus - FHS
  • 2nd place: Akarsh Kumar (a 9th grader at Woodland)
  • 4th-10th: Meagan Olsen, Lucas Bellaiche, Steven Du, Jack Jiang

• 11th-25th: Rachel McCann, Ruby Erickson, Hayley Felkins, Abby Hollis

Calculus - FHS
  • 1st place: Peter Gea

• 4th-10th: Abby Pickhardt, Tyler Bishop, Tong Yu, Boyang Si

• 11th-25th: Alex Mueller, Abby Parker, Robert Lee, Michelle Qiu

Statistics - FHS
  • 3rd place: David Lee Crosby
  • 
4th - 10th: Kori Pendergraft

• 11-25th: Elijah Mulder

Search Underway for New FHS Principal

Posted by Alan on March 17, 2015 4:43 PM | (Not Filed) |

FHSPhase1.pngA national search is currently underway to find a new principal for Fayetteville High School, beginning with the 2015-16 school year. Steve Jacoby, current FHS principal, has announced his retirement at the end of the current school year.

Click here for more information. Click here to apply.

School of Innovation Survey

Posted by Alan on March 17, 2015 4:35 PM | (Not Filed) |

1-onlinesurvey.pngFayetteville's alternative learning center, Agee Lierly Life Preparation Services (ALLPS) center, is seeking to become a School of Innovation to promote continued education and increase students opportunity to succeed. The Fayetteville Public Schools would like to obtain your feedback on this.

If you decide to participate, please complete the survey at this link: www.yep.it/com4day by Friday, March 20, 2015.

Lady Bulldogs Win State Basketball Championship

Posted by Alan on March 16, 2015 10:40 AM | (Not Filed) |

Crowned Bulldog.pngCongratulations to the FHS Lady Bulldogs for winning the 2015 7A state basketball championship on Saturday in Hot Springs! They defeated Conway 80-65 to bring home the trophy. Senior Sydney Crockett was named the tournament MVP. 

Staff Spotlight: Thelma Thomason

Posted by Alan on March 16, 2015 9:33 AM | (Not Filed) |

Thelma.Thomason-1.pngOur Staff Spotlight this week features a true "veteran" teacher in our district: Thelma Thomason. Thelma teaches kindergarten at Vandergriff Elementary School, and she began her teaching career with the Fayetteville Public Schools in 1962. The current school year will be her fifty-third year to teach in our schools!

Much has changed since Thelma's first year teaching at Lincoln Elementary School in Fayetteville. "We didn't have central heat and air in the building in 1962," said Thomason. "I still remember those days, and I'm very thankful for it now! Of course, we have so much technology in the classroom today, and our students come to school with so much knowledge of technology. It was a totally different situation way back then."

When asked what keeps her going, Thelma replied, "When I hear a student say, 'I got it!'--that's the best feeling! Just listening to those words and knowing how proud they are is a joy and keeps me going."

Thelma was honored last December by a group of former students who gathered stories and memories from current and former students and presented them to her on a big "T" for Christmas. "That was very touching to me and very appreciated."

When she does decide to retire, Thelma said she will miss her work family and the families she has had the opportunity to get to know over the years. "I have many dear friendships with teachers, some retired and some still teaching. I've had families come through where I have have taught the mom or dad and then their children. So many memories!"

Staff Spotlight: Tommy Davenport

Posted by Alan on March 6, 2015 1:51 PM | (Not Filed) |

TommyDavenport.pngWith our recent flurry of snow days, it's entirely appropriate to feature FPS Director of Transportation Tommy Davenport in our Staff Spotlight.

A 1976 graduate of FHS, Tommy began driving a school bus for the district when he was 18 years old. "I remember several winters of severe snow storms in the late 1970s when many of our rural roads were dirt roads," said Davenport." In the spring, the roads would sink from the freeze and thaw of the winter. Road surfaces have improved greatly, and we know have only a few miles of dirt roads to travel."

Davenport worked for the Maintenance and Custodial Department from 1981 to 1996 when he returned to the Transportation Department as assistant director. He was named Director of Transportation in 1998 when Loyd Thomas retired.

One of the happiest and most friendly persons you will ever meet, Davenport puts in long days as head of the Transportation Department, particularly on snow days. "Snow days are very serious and intense," said Davenport. "We strive to gather up-to-date information about road conditions. Can we transport students safely to AND from school is the key question."

"I've come to rely on Tommy when we have to make a decision on closing school due to weather or road conditions," said superintendent Dr. Paul Hewitt. "His years of experience, his knowledge of what our buses can and cannot do, and his high concern for the safety of our students are invaluable to me."

Davenport was named the inaugural winner of the President's Star Award from the Arkansas Association of Pupil Transportation.

FHS Principal Announces Retirement

Posted by Alan on March 6, 2015 1:30 PM | (Not Filed) |

Steve Jacoby.pngFHS principal Steve Jacoby announced today that he will retire at the end of the current school year. Jacoby has served as the FHS principal since 2009 and will complete 45 years as an educator when he retires effective June 30, 2015.

"We are very grateful to Mr. Jacoby for his service to the students and staff of Fayetteville High School," said superintendent Dr. Paul Hewitt. "He has guided FHS through some tremendous changes the past five years. We congratulate him on a distinguished career as an educator and administrator, and we wish him the happy and relaxed retirement he has most certainly earned."

During his career Jacoby has been selected as Principal of the Year in both Arkansas and Texas, served as chair of the National Honor Society National Scholarship Selection Committee, and has twice led the transition to a grades 9-12 high school, (Bentonville and
Fayetteville High Schools). He has been presented with Paul Harris Fellowships by two Rotary clubs, one in Texas and one in Arkansas.

The search for a new principal for FHS will begin immediately.

Fayetteville Schools Open on March 6 with Limited Bus Service

Posted by Alan on March 5, 2015 4:36 PM | (Not Filed) |

buses.pngAll Fayetteville Public Schools will be open on Friday, March 6 with limited bus service on a few routes. Click here to see the list of affected routes.

Algebra I Update

Posted by Alan on March 4, 2015 9:56 AM | (Not Filed) |

keep-calm-and-study-algebra.pngKim Garrett, Associate Superintendent for Secondary Education, reported to the school board at their February meeting on the proposed changes to Algebra 1. She noted that an accelerated 6th grade math course will be taught beginning in 2015-16. This course will add an additional accelerated math sequence for students that can culminate with students taking College Calculus III their senior year of high school. Click here to see her report and the sequence 

FHS Students Perform Original Adaptions of MacBeth

Posted by Alan on March 2, 2015 10:59 AM | (Not Filed) |

Macbeth.pngFHS junior English students performed original adaptations of scenes from Shakespeare's "Macbeth" recently in the FHS Black Box Theatre. Theatre Squared led a performance workshop for the students last week on using tableaus to visually tell a story and set a scene for the stage. Click here to photos from the performances.

Fayetteville Schools Open with Limited Bus Service

Posted by Alan on March 2, 2015 6:25 AM | (Not Filed) |

buses.pngAll Fayetteville Public Schools will be open today, Monday, March 2 with limited bus service. Click here to see the list of affected bus routes.

Complete List