FPS Community Blog

May 2015 Archives

Woodland Yearbook Wins National Award

Posted by Alan on May 27, 2015 1:54 PM | (Not Filed) |

Woodland yearbook.pngCongrats to the Woodland Jr. High yearbook staff being inducted into the Walworth Gallery of Excellence! Yet another national award winning effort!!

McNair Teachers Win National Award

Posted by Alan on May 27, 2015 9:52 AM | (Not Filed) |

wranglerpod2.pngCongrats to McNair Middle School teachers Karen Allain, Paige Kroening, Terry Still, and Sandy Weishaar for winning the 2015 TEAMS (The Consortium for the Teaching of the Middle Ages) Teaching Prize Competition for the K-8 category with their "Through the Middle Ages with Middle School Students" unit for the Wrangler Pod!!

Whitehead Named Assistant Principal of the Year

Posted by Alan on May 21, 2015 2:40 PM | (Not Filed) |

Ted Whitehead.png

Congratulations to McNair Middle School assistant principal Ted Whitehead for being named the 2015 Assistant Principal of the Year by the Arkansas Association of Middle Level Administrators! The award was presented today in a surprise assembly at McNair by Dr. Richard Abernathy, executive director of the Arkansas Association of Educational Administrators. Well deserved, Ted!

2015 Graduating Class Largest in FHS History

Posted by Alan on May 18, 2015 11:35 AM | (Not Filed) |

fhsgrads-blog.pngThe FHS Class of 2015 became the largest class to graduate from Fayetteville High School when they graduated during ceremonies on Thursday, May 14 at Bud Walton Arena.

The Class of 2015 also accepted $8.63 million in college scholarships, including $1.9 million from the University of Arkansas. More than $10 million in scholarships was offered to the class. Congratulations and best wishes!

Another FHS Senior Awarded National Merit Scholarship

Posted by Alan on May 11, 2015 10:36 AM | (Not Filed) |

Gea_Peter-1.png

Congrats to FHS senior Peter Gea for being one of 21 Arkansas high school seniors named this week as recipients of $2,500 National Merit Scholarships! Gea is the third FHS senior to receive a National Merit Scholarship this year.

ALLPS Named School of Innovation

Posted by Alan on May 6, 2015 2:07 PM | (Not Filed) |

ALLPS podium.pngThe Agee-Lierly Life Preparation Services Center, the alternative education program of Fayetteville High School, has been named a School of Innovation by the Arkansas Department of Education.

ALLPS will be one of only 15 schools of innovation in Arkansas. The designations are given by the Commissioner of the Arkansas Department of Education and are for a four-year period.

ALLPS offers educational programs and services designed to support the development of students whose needs are not met by traditional programs. The educational process is geared toward the needs of the student. Individualized planning guides the learning to help establish personal responsibility and ensure student success. Students assume responsibility for attending school, actively engaging in learning activities, and cooperating with others in order to maintain a positive learning environment.

"Our school is appreciative of the opportunity to continue exploring innovative ideas and ways to assist students in achieving quality education," said ALLPS principal Dr. Denise Hoy. "By providing flexible scheduling, we will work to improve student morale, and attendance, as well as teaching and learning. Thanks to the staff, students, parents, community, school board, and the school district for supporting this initiative.

ALLPS students provided the following comments on the School of Innovation designation:

Matayo Pearson: "I am looking at this as an incentive for students like myself to explore college and career opportunities, like visiting job fairs and schools."

Chris Graham: "For me this will likely help improve my grades, behavior, and attendance, and
I'm more likely to come to school to do my work and not get in trouble."

Shevi England: "Being in this environment has helped me to overcome my anxieties and improve my overall self-esteem. I have friends that this will help eliminate the need to pay for additional child care and allow more time for her to spend with their child."

Kesha Hixon: This will allow time to complete homework free of distractions from younger
siblings that I help care for at home and the ability to get additional assistance from teachers, do community service, and take field trips without missing normal school days."

The ALLPS campus will have $500,000 in renovation work performed over the summer. 

Message from FHS Principal Regarding Senior Pranks

Posted by Alan on May 5, 2015 2:38 PM | (Not Filed) |

FHSCrest.pngCONGRATULATIONS TO SENIORS AND SENIOR FAMILIES!

This a special time for our graduating seniors and their families. Thursday, May 14 will be a culminating event for seniors and their families. In keeping with the standards of excellence set by our graduating seniors the last four years, pranks (demeaning or harmful actions and actions that create clean up) have been eliminated. This is a practice we want to continue. A prank that is harmful to anyone may result in the student not being able to participate in the commencement program.

Please remind your senior to NOT:

• leave class, including the final, early without permission
  • engage in behavior that is unsafe, or could be demeaning or malicious (this includes water balloons)
  • engage in behavior that results in someone else having to clean it up.

This senior class has had an exemplary performance in academics, fine arts and athletics. We at the high school and the PTSO all want to end the year with positive memories, not regrets for wrong choices. Thank you in advance for your help.

Steve Jacoby, Principal
Fayetteville High School

Scott Named New FHS Principal

Posted by Alan on May 5, 2015 8:15 AM | (Not Filed) |

Chad Scott-2.jpgThe Fayetteville Board of Education voted unanimously to approve the recommendation of superintendent Dr. Paul Hewitt to hire Dr. Chad Scott as the principal of Fayetteville High School, effective July 1, 2015. Dr. Scott is currently the principal of Bentonville High School. He will replace current FHS principal Steve Jacoby, who is retiring on June 30.

Dr. Scott received his bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Texas at Arlington, a master's degree in educational administration from Texas A&M University-Commerce, and his doctorate in educational administration from the University of Arkansas.

Prior to serving as the principal at Bentonville High School, Dr. Scott served as assistant principal at Bentonville High School and as an assistant principal for the Springdale Public Schools.

"Dr. Scott is well known in Fayetteville as a community member and as a parent in our schools," said Dr. Hewitt. "We have been fortunate to have a leader of Mr. Steve Jacoby's stature at Fayetteville High School for so many years. I am confident that Dr. Scott will carry forward the creativity that has always characterized Fayetteville High School."

Staff Spotlight: Warren Rosenaur

Posted by Alan on May 4, 2015 9:45 AM | (Not Filed) |

Rosenaur-1.jpgWarren Rosenaur is the director of theatre at Fayetteville High School. He has over 35 years experience teaching theatre. His directing credits include Little Shop of Horrors, The Sound of Music, Anything Goes, West Side Story, The Complete Works of Wm. Shakespeare (abridged), The Wizard of Oz, The Elephant Man, A Few Good Men, Dracula, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Our Town, and Oklahoma! As an actor he has appeared in Dames at Sea, Oil City Symphony, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Boys Next Door, and Amateurs, Dupont Mississippi, Radio Dazed: Dracula Meets Old Man Winter.

He has adapted several children's book for the stage including The Stinky Cheese Man, Bubba The Cowboy Prince, and The Frog Prince, Continued. His film and television roles include The Gordon Family Tree (2014), The Valley Inn (2014), Dupont Mississippi-F5, Pearls of Wisdom, and Redemption, which won the 2006 Pine Bluff Film Festival, as well as several local commercials.

1. What should your co-workers know about you? I'm secretly addicted to watching terrible reality TV shows.
  2. Who would be your dream dinner party guests? Stephen Sondheim, Julie Andrews, and Neil Simon
  3. What is your most embarrassing moment at school/work? Kissing the Bulldog during Homecoming. I actually wish they would bring that tradition back.
  4. What are you currently reading? Who has time to read?? Seriously, I'm reading plays for possible production at FHS for next year--The Center of the Universe by Bruce Gevirtzman and Steel Magnolias by Robert Harling
  5. What's your favorite thing about working for FPS? My students and my Fine Arts Faculty Family

Complete List